The Master Plan for Nature Protection and Energy Utilization is a tool designed to bridge opposing views and interests regarding land use in areas rich in energy resources in Iceland. On these pages you will find information regarding laws and regulations pertaining to the Master Plan, as well as a description of the methodology used and the commissions and committees involved.
In addition to the information provided on this website, more extended and detailed descriptions in English can be found in the following sources. The list is by no means exhaustive:
- Anna Dóra Sæþórsdóttir 2012. Tourism and Power Plant Development: An Attempt to Solve Land Use Conflicts. Tourism Planning and Development, Volume 9, Issue 4, bls. 339-353, 2012. DOI:10.1080/21568316.2012.726255.
- Anna Dóra Sæþórsdóttir og Rögnvaldur Ólafsson 2010. – Nature tourism assessment in the Icelandic Master Plan for geothermal and hydropower development. Part I: rapid evaluation of nature tourism resources. Journal of Heritage Tourism, Volume 5, Issue 4, bls. 311-331. DOI:10.1080/1743873X.2010.517839.
- Anna Dóra Sæþórsdóttir og Rögnvaldur Ólafsson 2010. Nature tourism assessment in the Icelandic Master Plan for geothermal and hydropower development. Part II: assessing the impact of proposed power plants on tourism and recreation. Journal of Heritage Tourism, Volume 5, Issue 4, bls. 333-349. DOI:10.1080/1743873X.2010.517840.
- Steingrímsson, B., Björnsson, S., Adalsteinsson, H.: Master Plan for Geothermal and Hydropower Development in Iceland. A Presentation at Short Course on Geothermal Development in Central America – Resource Assessment and Environmental Management, organized by UNU-GTP and LaGeo, in San Salvador, El Salvador, 25 November – 1 December, 2007.
- Þóra Ellen Þórhallsdóttir 2007. Environment and energy in Iceland: A comparative analysis of values and impacts. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Volume 27, Issue 6, bls. 522-544. DOI:10.1016/j.eiar.2006.12.004.
- Þóra Ellen Þórhallsdóttir, 2007. Strategic planning at the national level: Evaluating and ranking energy projects by environmental impact. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Volume 27, Issue 6, bls. 545-568. DOI:10.1016/j.eiar.2006.12.003.
- Þóra Ellen Þórhallsdóttir, 2002. Evaluating Nature and Wilderness in Iceland. USDA Forest Service Proceedings RMRS-P-26, bls. 96-104.